Tips on how to have fun and be safe this Halloween!
- Make sure costumes are made of flame-retardant material.
- Avoid costumes that drag on the ground.
- Be sure that any footwear actually fits your child’s feet.
- Avoid allowing kids to carry sharp or stick-like props.
- Make sure children can see, even if it means removing their masks.
- Add reflective markings or tape to costumes if kids will be outside at dusk or after dark.
- Children should always trick-or-treat with adults.
- Only visit doorways with lights.
- Never enter anyone’s house.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Stay on the sidewalk and out of lawns and the street.
- Hold hands
- Remember to say, “Thank you!”
Avoid Belly Aches
- Eat dinner before you go trick-or treating or out to a party.
- Wait until you are home from trick-or treating before opening any treats.
- Inspect all of the food your child collects, and toss out anything that may have been tampered with.
- Remember to consider any food allergies your child has as well as foods that might be a choking hazard, depending on your child’s age.
- Set a limit. Ask your kids to pick out a set number of candy pieces to enjoy that night. Then save the rest for another day!
What other tips do you recommend for a fun and safe Halloween?